wine by the color

Tuesday, October 18, 2011

After eight weeks of no action, a dress has been purchased.

I tried on eight dresses in trips to three stores on two different days. I didn't try anything on at the first store because I wasn't particularly interested in looking like a sequined whore when I walked down the aisle. That seemed to be their specialty. The second store was nice enough and had non-sequined-whore dresses but nothing in my size. And the woman informed me that it could take up to eight months to get a dress made, which sent me into a minor panic given our desired February/March timeframe.

But a trip to David's Bridal on Sunday proved to be much more productive. I had seen a dress I liked on the store's website and my parents both accompanied me to check it out. I tried that dress on and liked it quite a bit, but then the girl next to me was trying on something else that caught my eye, and the rest is history.

It's nothing like I expected I'd want to wear. And that's about all I'll say about it for now. I don't think the Captain remembers I even have a blog (completely understandable, given that I seem to have forgotten about it for the better part of the year) but I don't want to risk it.

Venue and date are next on the list. We have found a place we both really like but need to visit said venue and make sure it's not completely unreasonable. But we're optimistic it will work out. We also have an invitation list and some semblance of a wedding party.

In the meantime, I've decided to get a head start on some things people probably put off until the last minute. For instance, the wedding music. Given our lack of a date, we certainly don't have a DJ, but that hasn't stopped me from researching songs we'd like to hear, including a song for the father-daughter dance. Attendees will not be hearing that "Butterfly Kisses" vomit-a-thon.

But they also will not be hearing "Papa Don't Preach," as is oh-so-helpfully recommended here. The list contains several questionable choices, including "Material Girl," "Brown Eyed Girl," which refers to a girl getting it on with her boyfriend behind a stadium, and John Mayer's Daughters, which is a song about a father who emotionally scars his daughter so badly she can't have a healthy relationship with her boyfriend. That seems slightly out of place.

3 Comments:

  • At 10/19/2011 8:11 AM, Blogger Wendy said…

    Don't forget Billy Idol's "White Wedding" which was played (in a disguised fashion) at my wedding.

     
  • At 10/20/2011 10:36 PM, Blogger jersey girl said…

    That is fantastic!

     
  • At 10/28/2011 12:13 AM, Blogger Joe and Mel said…

    So, being unable to sleep, I decided to pop on over to your blog for the first time in, oh, months... only to read such fabulous news! Congratulations and I'll be sure to return more often to read your planning updates!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home