wine by the color

Tuesday, February 08, 2011

The house search continues and has actually included several visits to open houses, which are all sorts of educational and amusing (washer and dryer in a closet on the back porch, anyone?). For a couple of days, we thought we had found our house - terrific location, amazing house with FOUR fireplaces and an inground pool, unbelievably right in our price range. Then we realized the taxes were $14,000 A YEAR and that was the end of that.

But my favorite time waster continues to be searching for houses online. And there is no finer entertainment than the photographs people use to try to convince others to buy their homes.

Let's start today with this. This is a strange room, featuring a small bed and a large chair. I envision a creepy scene whereby someone sits in the chair and watches someone sleep.
















These two gems are from the same house. I can't decide which I like more, the framed guitar hanging in the bathroom, or the framed photo of an 80s hair band on the wall of the play room. You be the judge...














Then there is this house, where someone went absolutely crazy with ugly color...










Speaking of color, that offers a nice transition to what is easily the saddest little house I've seen listed...

By itself, the bright green living room might not have been that bad...











Ok, it would have been that bad. But then there's this view, which offers a glimpse of three different rooms, each a different, horrible pastel...











And let's not forget the kitchen, which features more green (not to mention peeling walls and cabinets)...










But color is the least of this home's problems.

I probably look at an average of 50 homes a week these days. I've been at it for a while, although when I first started looking it was much less purposefully than I search now. I don't know how many houses I've looked at in the past year and a half, but it is a lot.

And I can assure you, I have NEVER seen a bedroom that features ... a sink.











(In case you're wondering if I'm just confused, the caption under this photo under the listing reads: "Bedroom with sink." Pretty clear.)

Not to be outdone, there is also a half bathroom in the attic. IN THE ATTIC?










"Give me a few minutes, hon. I'm going to put away the Christmas decorations and take a dump."

It's a really sad house. But it is well within our price range...

4 Comments:

  • At 2/10/2011 5:51 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I am so glad that you finally wrote! I really enjoy lurking on your blog and getting my Jersey fix. Jersey Shore, Jerseylicious and Real Housewives of NJ are not a true representation.

     
  • At 2/13/2011 7:00 AM, Blogger jersey girl said…

    Thanks! They definitely are not Jersey - I've never watched a minute of any of them.

     
  • At 2/14/2011 1:42 PM, Blogger Marjon said…

    Hehehe, bedrooms with sinks are not weird over here. Maybe the current owner is Dutch?

     
  • At 2/16/2011 10:01 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    This was absolutely delightful. And I'm anonymous because I can't remember my google acct. Lame. - Mel McGuire!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home